In 1752, the estate was called “La Roze”. It wasn’t until the 19th century that it took the name La Prade, from the Celtic “prad” or the Latin “prada” meaning meadow.
The estate was acquired by the Pyrent family around 1872. The name “château” de Pyrent de la Prade(…)
In 1752, the estate was called “La Roze”. It wasn’t until the 19th century that it took the name La Prade, from the Celtic “prad” or the Latin “prada” meaning meadow.
The estate was acquired by the Pyrent family around 1872. The name “château” de Pyrent de la Prade appears in the census. The Pyrent family had the house built with two wings with towers to the north and south. Benoit-Edmond Pyrent de la Prade, born in Clermont on May 27, 1820 and died in 1901, was a Second Empire baron and local politician, serving as mayor of Cébazat from 1879 to 1882. In 1864, he obtained permission to add the particle “de la Prade” to his name. An active member of the diocesan committee and president of a number of charities, he donated a painting of the Descent from the Cross to the cathedral and a Virgin and Child, a copy of a painting by Correggio (circa 1489-1534), to the Saint-Pardoux church in Blanzat.
In 1920, Professor Castaigne, director of the Clermont-Ferrand medical school and mayor of Cébazat from 1925 to 1945, bought the château and its outbuildings. In 1951, the estate was sold to Électricité de France and Gaz de France, who set up a training center for their employees and managers. In 2007, the commune acquired the estate with its 5-hectare park and its many century-old trees.